Saturday 30 June 2007

Dealing with the nerves

The 10k is tomorrow, but im bervous today. This is not good. When I feel nervous, I feel sick. So sick that I dont want to eat or drink. That is not good.
Distractions are what I need. They were easy to come by this morning, on the way up here. I sat on the train and sipped my water, listened to my MP3 player, read my book. Mental preperation is now part of my daily routine, because I know already that the marathon will be 20% in my legs, 80% in my head. So each day, I set aside time for mental preparation. Its become like a ritual. I find a quiet moment, and I sit, emersed in various chapters of Jeff Galoways book, while sipping water.
By the time I got to Stratford, I could feel the stress setting in, and I knew the afternoon would be tough. Delayed at Romford, I cut through the mall, with the intention of retail therapy, but it wasnt enough. Finally arived at best friends house, but I knew he would be out until 2, which left me two hours to myself-except that I didnt want 2 hours to myself. Feeling hot and sticky from the public transport and my two and a half hour trek across the south east of England, I swapped Jeans for cropped tracksuit bottoms, and felt instantly calmer. I considered a shower, but changed my mind, and settled down to ring home to check in (My parents get nervous about me going to London on my own, despite me being 23!) and make good use of the free range I had been given with the p.c.
Im looking forward to tonight, as we are going out, but in the back of my mind, theres still the nerves. And thats all I can think about. I cant distract myself, and all I do is figet. My mind is wandering, and I cant concentrate. Time seems to tick away slower with each passing minute.
I hate to think what tomorrow will be like.

No comments: