Monday 25 June 2007

Impossible is Nothing

Current mood: energetic

I watched This Morning one morning back in April, and saw a bunch of women all from different backgrounds, who had been chosen at random by the programme to run the FLM. Now, when i was at Primary school, there was a time when I had the bug for athletics. Undiagnosed asthma was a burden that stopped me from taking up something I so badly wanted to take up: Cross country running. So instead I took up sprinting-for some reason 100m done quickly was less of a problem than a mile or two done slowly. For a while I was quite good, but for various reasons, I lost interest at athletics at school, and by the time I got to high school, i had other things on my mind. For a few weeks I dated Alex who was a keen sprinter, and regularly when to the Mountbatten Centre in Portsmouth, and he did give me some encouragement to take it up again, but I never did.
I always watched the athletics part of the Olympics, especially the marathon part, and occasionally i watched the FLM, thinking, that one day i would like to do that, but never thought i could.
Then I met someone who changed my life forever. Someone who was about to run his first marathon. And yea, i took the mic, saying he must be mad to run that distance, refusing his half joking queries about my signing up for a small race, and if im honest, while I admired his determination, I was a little bit envious too.
Because deep down, i did want to, I just didnt have the courage.
I'll never forget the feeling inside when i saw him cross the finish line, the first time i saw him race, nor the overwhelming pride I felt when i saw him cross the finish line of his first marathon. I was more than a little pissed off when i couldnt go with him for his second marathon. I wont see him cross the line of his third either, but thats because i will be running my first.
Seeing that programme, I thought, its April now, Dublin is in October, that leaves me six months. So yea, i have time.
And as Adidas say, Impossible is Nothing.
So i joined a gym, got a programme sorted out for the gym, and found a programme to build up my endurance for the roads.
Then I decided to sort out a charity to run for. For ages I couldnt decided whether to run for Shelter or Great Ormond Street. In the end, I picked Shelter, and sent them an email to tell them.
Two days ago, a bright red vest arrived in the post. The design is a little dated, but it tells everyone who im doing it for, and makes me noticable.
If he is mad, I MUST be mad.
But ive got loads of sound advice about how to run/walk it as my goal is just to finish it, and im trying to get past the psychological barrier of doubts.
My first 10 k event is next Sunday. I dont care if it takes me 2 hrs or 20 hrs, i just want to cross that line. Because if I can cross that line, I can cross the line in Dublin, and Impossible will really be nothing.

No comments: