Tuesday 26 June 2007

Oh the pain!

Woke up at 3 am in absolute agony. Being out in the rain, having just got over a cold, had sent my temperature soring despite the shower afterwards to warm up, and I had kicked my duvet off and my legs had got cold. Cold muscles= pain. And PAIN is what I felt. Cursed myself for not rubbing in ibuprofen gel earlier when i felt the niggling pain. Migraine was also causing me grief. So I rubbed in the gel, and massaged the muscles in my left leg, which was more painful than the right, and took some migraleve for my head. Got up for a drink, and nearly leapt through the ceiling because I have cold hard floors, and the pain coursed through my leg like a lighting bolt. Made it to kitchen, and got back into bed-thank god i live in a flat!-and then realised I needed the loo! Got back into bed, and my son woke up and started calling for me, and I had to settle him again.....
7 am alarm goes off (dont remember falling asleep!) and i gingerly get out of bed. I struggle into car, and coz im 5ft 4, i have to have seat so far forward that its ridiculous, but this cramps my legs and by the time I am crossing school playground I can hardly walk! Benjamin and Carls' mums' inquiry as to my ill health (oh dear! what have you done?!) and I tell them its pain from my run yesterday. Go home and rest, they advise. No, its ok, I'll be ok once ive been to the gym, I tell them. To which the response is questioning my sanity!
Half past nine im in the gym, on the bike, wondering if i have passed the point of no return, and if i should just have myself committed after all. But then I do my weights, jump on treadmill for my hill walking (far too painful at 5.8 so i cheated and dropped down to 5.2!), then its on to rower, for a slow 1500m at 9:53, which I curse, coz its slower than Friday, which was slower than Wednesday, but tell myself its ok to take it easy because I'm in pain. Listen to your body, I chant, along with Relax-todays Mantras!
Then on to the cross trainer, for my 13 minute cardio work out. By the time I'm done, I feel great, and my legs, although a little achy, and at times a tad painful are no longer as bad as they were. Going downstairs to car is certainly less of a struggle than coming up them to gym this morning. My goal for the gym, is to be able to get up those stairs the day after a run, with ease.
Not having to rely on medication to get me through the day after a long run, which is good.
Just before I leave, I weigh myself, which ive been doing every visit, since I realised I'd lost a stone in 2 months of going to the gym 2 or three times a week, and running at least once a week. Since Friday, ive lost another 3 kilos, so now im down to 86. Knowing this, I feel even better. Thats when I realise that for the first time, since i gave birth to my five year old, I can actually see my own feet!

1 comment:

The True Voice of Reason said...

Don't overdo it Lizzie. Remember that overtraining can be more dangerous than undertraining. I'm not saying that you are overdoing it, but just be aware of it. Make sure you take at least a couple of rest days a week. You're doing the right thing to mix in a gym session or two as well. Break it up a bit. Those muscle aches are just a little concerning though.

Do you have some scales at home? I always weigh myself first thing in the morning. I find that weighing myself in the gym can be a little misleading, as I've often lost a lot of fluid through sweat. On the other hand, you're wearing clothes so that's also makes it harder to compare.

Anyway, you sound determined, and if you can hang on to that attitude you'll be OK.