Sunday 1 July 2007

1:43:08

I did it!
Got up later than had planned, and BF badgered me to eat breakfast of sugar puffs, despite my feeling sick. Tried to ease the pre race nerves by listening to my MP3 player for a bit while I got ready. Didnt take long to get there once we were on the road. Car park was full, so car got left down the road. 5K started just as we got there, and with no queue for registration, it meant there was a lot of standing around, not really doing much, so nerves soon returned. Hung to the back with BF knowing I was gonna be on the slow side, and although small crowd meant I knew I'd be one of the slowest, I didnt realise we would be the very last. As we came past the first marshal, over the music I heard him say something along the lines of good plan, so I relaxed, settling into my plan of slow jog 2 mins, walk 2 mins for 1st K to ease myself in, knowing I could pick up the pace later. 1st K is always the hardest for me, I explained to BF after, because its like my legs say, sod this, this is to uncomfortable, and my head is saying, thats enough, go home, and so the first k is all about overcoming the psychological barrier that tells me I cant do this, so dont 1even try. Approached second marshal while on a walk break who suggested that if we were only going to walk the 10k, there was a short cut we could take! Bloody cheek! Calf muscles hurt for the first 3k or so, but the more I ran, the more I felt them relax.
Certain track on MP3 player came on, and my pace picked up to a proper run, that BF wasnt expecting, so for 30 seconds he was left in the dust of my heels as I sped off down the hill. About 25 minutes into the race, we were overtaken by the "real" runners, and shortly after, a marshal on a bike informed us that although they would keep the course open until we got back, and a marshal would stay to record our times, they couldnt guarantee that any marshals would be on the route for our second lap. Now, fair enough if they had a time limit posted, or if the course wasnt billed as "open to everyone" but since there was neither, a limit, or stipulation about type of runners, I felt a little miffed and completely unmotivated by this news. As much as I tried to put this to the back of my mind, Im pretty sure this impacted me for the rest of the race. I didnt mind coming in last, but I objected to being made to feel useless because of it, after all ive attended 10k events in the past as a supporter, where runners have come in well after an hour and a half. However I got some support from the marshals at the gate as I passed for my second lap, and felt ok to break the 2 min run/2 min walk rule, and managed to clock up a couple of 4min + runs. Unfortunately this didnt last long, and I was back to running 2 min/2 min rule, later replaced with 30 sec walk/1.5 min runs, for a couple of K towards the end. BF didnt know, but I had a secret plan for which I was conserving my energy. As I approached the school gate, and entered the ground for the last section, I picked up my pace to a run again, but couldnt maintain this to the end, so walked for a minute, before picking up the pace one final time. Finish line less than 100 meters away, I turned to BF and catching his eye, I saluted and said "see ya" as I sprinted, hoping he'd let me have my moment of glory for my first 10 k. But oh no, hes far to competitive for that, and I crossed that line, only just ahead of him. He later told me, he had wanted to hold my hand and cross together, and hadnt been expecting me to suddenly bolt for the line. Guilt briefly set in, at this point, but didnt last long im afraid!
Marshal recorded our times, someone took our photos, and exhausted I collapsed into the first chair I found.
I felt the almost overwhelming urge to remove my shoes, but I resisted this, knowing id never get them back on, and after a couple of minutes rest, I managed to make it to the car in one piece, although I admit, I did ask to be carried!
Back at BF house, showered and pain free (although I know it wont last) I feel really good about myself. The first milestone has been reached, and I know I can do the seven miles I need to do next sunday, that only the other day I was unsure I could complete. Knowing I have crossed my first line, I now believe that I can cross the line in Dublin. Whether or not I will be in one piece, I dont know!

No comments: