Monday 2 July 2007

The morning after.....

I logged onto Runners world forum this morning, to see what everyone else had thought of yesterdays event. Seeing that critique was welcomed, I posted the following:

As someone who is not an elite runner, I was disappointed to see that marshals were removed when I did my second lap. Granted they are volunteers, but I felt this affected my motivation. I was aiming for an hour and 27 minutes. I didnt achieve this. I also didnt appreciate the 1st marshal saying to me that if i was just going to walk it, there was a short cut I could take. Im not an elite runner, and im following the jeff galloway run/walk programme, and I was taking it easy because I was in a car accident during the previous week. If the race was only open to elite runners, it should have been made clearer.

This was the response I got:
Lizzietalk21,

If you are the lady who finished with the male runner firstly I would like to apologise regarding the marshal. Everyone who takes part in an event deserves the same respect as a runner or competitor. The races were open to all levels of runners.

However if we are aware that someone is planning to walk the event we advise them to take part in the 5K. The marshals would have been in place since the start of the 5K and by time you aimed to finish they would have been in place for over two hours plus the hour prior to start time helping at school. After consulting the race referee(a county AA official) at the event the Last Runner sweeper advised you regarding the marshals.

I am sorry this detracted from the event for you. If you do decide to take part in the event again please let us know so we can discuss any allowances we may be able to look into.

Well I have to say, I find this response disgraceful. If I had wanted to do the 5K I would have signed up for the 5K. And clearly the respondent has not read what I actually wrote.

So No.
I wont be doing this one next year.




1 comment:

The True Voice of Reason said...

Hi Liz

Please see Sweder's supportive post at www.runningcommentary.net.

I've had disagreements with race organisers in the past, but the silent Buddhist in me has moved me towards a position where I've come to accept that different people run for different reasons, and different race organisers put on races for different runners. It can get kinda complex, but it's worth getting to know.

Frankly, I'm pretty shocked about the way you were treated at your race.

Anyway, I'll cut to the chase. Get through Dublin -- and I hope I'll meet you and your chap there for a post-race Guinness or two. But make sure you enter the Brighton 10K in late November. That's the next RunningCommentary group 10K. We run the race, then go for a corking lunch. You're very welcome to join us.

Well done on completing your 10K. By the time that Brighton comes around, you'll be at least 30 minutes quicker, guaranteed.

Keep going, mate. You're doing great.

Andy