Monday 13 August 2007

Exhaustion and Pain

I didnt get around to going to the gym last week at all-but it wasnt for lack of trying. Unfortunately my life is currently rather hectic. My goal for yesterday was 12 miles, but unfortunately that wasnt to be either. I knew from the moment I got up that it wasnt to be my day, but I tried desperately to suppress such feelings and the negativity that inevitably results in failure. I was still tired when I got up, and then I got distracted on the internet while trying to plan my route on Google maps. Then I couldnt get my MP3 player to work-and I find it stressful to run without it. Then when I did go out, I realised I had forgotten to change my trainers, and then my MP3 player ran out of battery, but since I hadnt even got out of my road, I went home, put the correct trainers on, and hunted for a new battery. By the time i got out, it was 2pm, and the cloud cover that promised a cooler run, had dispersed allowing the temp to warm up. My new route takes me up to the A27 and into a village with a rather steep hill. I change my routine here from 2 mins/2 mins to 1min/1 min to limit the feelings of exhaustion, and make it to the petrol station a minute quicker than I did during the week. I come down the road past the race course, a road that feels never ending, and despite my sports jelly beans, I feel knackered, with another 7.5 miles to go. I nip into the shop to get a bottle of water, and manage to make it another mile, but then Im zapped. I can still walk, but when I try to run, i cant, at it feels like my legs want to give way. I ring C for encouragement, and to talk through the problem. Walk he says, and just run if you think you can. Which I do, the last three miles back to the house, along the main road. I only just got through the door, now in pain, all the way up my spine. My shoulder which was stiff the day before now absolute agony which gives me a migraine. So later i get in the bath, as my legs are aching too. Gym this week, C tells me, that is probably the cause. Just make sure you get in there, whatever else is going on.

No comments: